Wednesday 30 August 2017

GETTING THE RIGHT LOOK!

I have been ,as you know, getting a few props here and there lately. When I bought the old style washing machine with mangle it gave me an idea to pull together an old style kitchen for the Schoenhut dolls.

So to that end I went looking for a stove or range. When I was a girl, I lived in south London in my grandmother's house which was an old terrace house that had three floors, my parents rented rooms from my grandmother but in my grans kitchen on the ground floor  was an old black range. I cannot remember if it was a working one but it was a lovely looking thing.

And so that's what I set out to find for the Schoenhut dolls. I have a picture in my mind of an old fashioned kitchen, with a range style cooker , butler sink, mismatched furniture.

Then finding one that would be the right size for my larger dolls, not easy as most that I found were too small or if bigger.. way to big and then expensive.

But then I found one and made an offer, which I'm pleased to say was accepted.


It arrived today and here is Evelyn trying it out for size.


Maude also happened round when the range was being admired.


The seller said that the pots were a little large for the range but no too bad.


I had recently bought some copper pots and pans for the larger dolls, which I'll try on this another time.


One of the things that made me go for this one, apart from the size, was the design on the front and the rail round the top. I can just see a tea towel hanging over that rail !


All the doors open.


The pots that came with it.


Amazingly, even though this is a child's toy from the 1920's , this is the paraffin holder which would have a wick in and lit to help 'cook' the food! I can just see some toy manufacturer trying to get that past health and safely !

So now to find something that can be the butler sink.... easy..... !


********************************************************************************

14 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I'm in awe of these lovely little props you find. They don't make toys like that anymore! Just wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a shame that they no longer make toys like these for children .

      Delete
  2. Now that's a range for a serious cook! Not only is it beautiful, but it appears to be built as solid as a battleship. Evelyn looks extremely pleased. I'm sure she will be turning out gourmet dinners in no time.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as well Evelyn is a serious cook 😀 It's very deceptive ,it's a lot lighter than it looks!
      I'm hoping she'll take over ALL the cooking including mine!

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic find! You clever OLD thing you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The size is perfect, what a wonderful find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is 😀 I was so pleased to find one big enough.

      Delete
  5. Great past historic memories here. What a hard life the women had in those days.
    I remember helping my mother polish her brass and silver pieces.
    I used to have my regularly used silver ware out on my sideboard for years and when it needed cleaning I'd put on a DVD film and polish it as I watched. Didn't seem quite such a hard task doing it this way. It was the washing and drying of it afterwards to get rid of any of the remaining silver cleaner that became the chore.
    Nowadays it's stored away in polythene bags in the cupboards underneath until needed, as it's considered an unnecessary extra job for the old Arthritic hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to send her to you for some training in cleaning her copper and brass pots 😉
      I remember having to clean the silver, always looked so lovely once finished! I've always preferred silver to gold myself.
      Evelyn's a very thorough and will enjoy cleaning her items 😀

      Delete
  6. That stove is just perfect - your house must be the Tardis!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs to be! They said the new Dr was a woman....... 😉

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful stove and pots and pans too! A great addition for the Village! 😊 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger. It will be a great prop! 😉

      Delete