Sunday 8 September 2019

SUNDAY ALREADY???

Time goes when you are having fun.. so they say.. what about when you are just working?  Either way this week seems to have galloped past , which in one way is quite worrying and another quite good!

But here we are again and it's Sunday and only one post completed ! Well it can only get better cos it can hardly get worse!!

So what's happening in the village? Well I am still fighting the never ending battle with 'Things' you know the 'things' that are constantly appearing in the wrong place causing a mess , never seem thave a place to live and even though you think you've cleared up those 'things' , others arrive to take their place almost as soon as you have turned your back!

I have got rid of loads of 'things' but still I return/ turn round and there is more! And it seems that no one else in the house can see these things ! They never decide maybe they could move, get rid of them, they just walk on by !

I find that sooner or later the 'everything must go!' feeling hits me and I will start throwing things out with no care if they could come in handy later... in fact the words come in handy later are the reason so many people have sheds, lofts, cupboards etc crammed with handy 'Things' for years to come! So I am fast approaching the ..if in doubt throw it out... stage of the year! We are due to have two weeks holiday at the end of this month and have plans to hire a skip for a massive clear out of the sheds and carport, once all that's been cleared it will be anything else that just needs to go. Obviously if I can donate it  to a charity shop then that's where it will land up but most will go in the skip and we'll finally get the carport back in time for the colder weather and the place will look nice and tidy for..... at least a couple of months!

Once the big clear out is over we'll be able to move on with the redecorating of the house through the late autumn and winter months. Once the kitchen is finally finished we'll go upstairs to do the main bedroom, then we can return to finish the hall and stairs because any large furniture and new carpets will have already been taken up the stairs and therefore we should hopefully safe to hang wallpaper etc.

Remember my new to me , arts and crafts tallboy? well I found some lovely copper arts and crafts handles on ebay.


These are the handles on the drawers at present.


These are the ones I'm going to replace them with.


They could have been made for the job!  I just need to get some copper headed screw/nails in the right size, then we can replace them.

I'm hoping the kitchen will move along over the next couple of weeks especially as we will be off soon, so should be able to get a fair bit done.

On the doll front, my impulse buy arrived along with a pot I bought for my collection.


This is the doll , a Schoenhut , whose eyes have been damaged, the face is one I do not already own so I thought she/he would be nice to add to my small collection and I could repair the eyes in any style I want.

The pot that I received was a vintage preserve pot, for jam, honey or marmalade.


It's by a maker I'm collecting and after watching it for months I finally decided to buy it so I could add it to my small collection of vintage preserve pots.


These are the others , which I have bought vintage silver preserve spoons for, I'll need to find one for this new pot.


They are from the 1930's up to the 1950's , I will only buy the one's I truly love and that are in good condition. At the moment I'm happy with the four I have.


I found two cast iron mice which I bought for the folly, at present they are sitting up high until it's finished.


The garden still has splashes of colour around despite being neglected for most of this year.


 Luckily some plants like Sedum  thrive whatever!


Well on that note I'm off to pour the tea out and enjoy a few minutes in the garden before the sun vanishes and the temperature drops. Have a great week ahead.

Dee 

4 comments:

  1. Love, love, love those Art Deco handles Dee, they are gorgeous! The little pot is lovely too, I didn't realise you collected them. I only have one little honey pot which my daughter bought me. Do you use your pots?

    I must say your garden is looking very pretty and the little mice are perfect additons to the folly. :) I do like funny peculiar things like that, they add so much character to spaces in the garden.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I think so too! ;) I will be using my pots when I retire and more a lady of leisure, so will have time to set with a lovely tea tray of fine china and goodies.
      Glad you like the mice, I think a few well made quirky things can only add to the enjoyment of a garden xx

      Delete
  2. The handles are perfect Dee, they will look an absolute treat when you put those on.
    The pots are pretty, such nice colours, will you display them in the kitchen when it's finished? I'm trying to remember if you had a display unit in your house when I came to visit, I think you did so maybe you will put them there? I'd be interested to know, cos I'm bloody nosy like that!!! ;)
    I used to have a candle holder with two little cast iron mice on it, if I remember rightly they were each holding an open book. Sadly when we were clearing out the house, I got really ruthless and gave them to the charity shop in Estepa, I feel so sad now that I gave so much of my stuff way, but then where would I put it here? I had to be really hard, but it still makes me sad to think that so much of my memories were given away :(
    Oh well, onwards and upwards!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon :) The pots will be displayed in the kitchen once it's finished because I love to see pretty china and not have to hide it away in the cupboard where it can get forgotten and never enjoyed.
      I feel for you Sharon, having to get rid of things because you no longer have space is much harder than deciding it's time they moved on. :( but i'm sure you'll make new memories with any new items you get in future xxx

      Delete