Saturday 13 September 2014

HERE AND THERE...

Well we were off out and about , here and there every day! One place we visited that we had not been before was Bridlington a coastal resort with two beaches.


The north beach.

When we arrived it was just beginning to come to life and after wandering around looking at all they had on offer it was time for lunch.

We found a very nice place which had views of the harbour and ordered lunch.


You can see that I chose the healthy option !


Lindsey chose the Sea Bass.

Later we sat on the front watching the hordes of people who had now started to fill the sea front and funfair and shops and café's.



This photo gives you an idea on the amount of people that had arrived!


The south beach.

We moved on to a new place...

On Monday we went to York! We were not supposed to be going to York until Tuesday but I forgot to check some details and we found ourselves visiting York a day earlier than expected however after carrying both Erik and Sansa round I had decided that I would take one out each day and had left Erik at home!!

I knew he would be heart broken that he'd missed seeing York and it would cost me dear and it did!!

However Sansa loved York and she took in all the sights and sounds and was ready to have a rest when it came to lunch time, everyone says you must go to the famous Betty's tea rooms but the queues are long!


This is the queue at around 2 pm!

We decided to try Chloe's!


A lovely little place near the Shambles.


Sansa took a long time deciding what sandwich she wanted!


We sat upstairs where the window was open letting in a gentle breeze on a beautiful sunny day.


Funnily enough we all found space for a slice of cake! on the left is Paul's Blackcurrant and Vanilla, above is Lindsey tucking into her Cinnamon and Apple and Sansa went for the Lemon curd and fresh cream, I of course was good!! ;)


For such a small girl Sansa managed to devour every crumb!


Here is a clearer view of what was available so you can see what would have been your choice!

After our lovely lunch we set off down the Shambles..


Just so you know!


A popular tourist attraction!


Full of lots of lovely gift shops and food shops but no butchers!!



Lovely old buildings everywhere!.


another view.

On the way back to the cottage we called in at a fantastic garden and nursery called Breezy Knees!


Sansa was happy to wander round for a while looking at the plants.


They had a beautiful September Garden that was full of bright colour.


Sansa did start to get a little bored because it was a very big garden with lots to see.


A lovely covered bench baring the name and date that part of the garden was planted.



Sansa loved these giant wellie's that we came across in the garden.



Dad took her photo so she could show Violet and Sapphire how big the boots were!


Finally back at the cottage Sansa takes Erik outside to tell him all about her day out!


" So !" asks Erik " The first place was closed so where did you go then? "
" We went round a garden called Breezy knees! " sighed Sansa " It went on for ages! Dad was snapping away taking photo's of the plants! "
" I can imagine!" says Erik , knowing Dad's love of gardening!


" So you spent all day at a garden! Poor you" says Erik in sympathy " Never mind I'm sure they'll take you somewhere nice after my turn!"
" Well we did go somewhere before the Garden " replies Sansa moving down the steps.


"Well ? " asks Erik
"Well we went to York shopping and for Lunch!" states Sansa


"NOOOOOOOOOOOO! " cries Erik throwing himself down in a heap on the cold stone steps !
Sansa decides to go find Mum to deal with Erik who is muttering the word no in one long moan ! 


To be continued........

12 comments:

  1. Bridlington looks great with it's north and south beaches.

    Fab resturants and cafes with delicious food featured here, making me feel quite hungry just before bedtime..... which is not a good thing. Like Lindsey I would have chosen the Sea Bass for my lunch.... and a slice of the lemon drizzle cake for afternoon tea.

    I felt quite sorry that Erik has missed out visiting York City. Perhaps the next time. I loved the Shambles shopping experience and remember bringing my daughter back a Shambles street sign to put on her bedroom door.

    Pleased to see that you got to visit the Bee's knees garden centre. Liked the idea of the seasonal garden displays showing you justg what was in flower in that particular month. Excellent idea.

    Seeing these last two posts makes me wish even more that I had been there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bridlington was indeed a buzzing place with lovely beaches.The food was delicious and very filling.
      I felt sorry for Erik missing York but he gets to go out and about and get a lovely present!!!
      Breezy knees garden is a must for anyone who loves plants to visit!
      You would have loved it all Kendal :)
      Dee xx

      Delete
  2. HOOOOOOOMMMMMME! I miss my home........Except those awful shelters on Brid sea front that Dad used to make us sit in for hours, wearing highly inappropriate cothing for the seaside. (Why a hat with tight elastic under the chin and silly, summer gloves??? and was he the last man in Britain to wear shirt, tie, tweed jacket and brown brogues if we DID manage to get him onto the beach?) After two hours of 'giving the hotel a chance to prepare the rooms' the holiday always took off, though, with we children sent off to the beach each morning for the a day of Enid Blyton style benign neglect and unsupervised adventures.
    I have lovely memories of holidays with my own children there, and in Scarborough, too.

    The garden centre is new to me. What a fabulous place! I'm with 'Dad' on this one. I could have taken photos there forever - or come home with half their stock. It looks like the garden of a stately home. Address, please! I need to send big brother there with a large shopping trolley...

    Poor Erik. But the Vikings settled all over the place in Yorkshire, not just at Jorvik so, maybe...?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I that it you are a Yorkshire lass!I do think the awful shelters are there any more, So no fear of you having to put on your tight elastic hat and summer gloves!!!
      It's amazing how we as children were sent off to play anywhere! Enid Blyton! I still have all my books from when I was a child!
      The garden is fantastic and there is a much more photo heavy post on our garden blog complete with address.
      Poor Erik, That lad gets a great present to make up for missing going to York!!!
      Dee xxx

      Delete
  3. Dee....How wonderful to see your holiday pics,loving the cottage what a great find,so prettily decorated ,me and my Hubby have just spent nearly two weeks digging,cutting back mad plants...fence panel replacement, two we had to finish off from last year but never the time to do it...a conifer taken out from the front took nearly a day and a half!! shallow rooted my foot lol....but having said all this it would have been super to see you,I wish I had visited your blog before you left home...you could have come for tea and cake,not that I have had any time to bake lol....

    Erik looks great in his helmet,did you get that from a shop in York ? I must go and get one!!! I think his eyes look amazing peeping through it,it was almost made for him....I think maybe it is hiding the tears rolling down his cheeks at missing York....OR maybe not,he is a Boy after all and at least he didn't have to trail around the shops lol....

    Scarborough too has North and South bays,we live on the North side,five minutes from the beach,I love it here,I count myself very,very lucky.....thanks Dee for showing us your super pics and I am looking forward to many more and Erik's fun packed days out......xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cottage was a great find Chris and in a good location for visiting all the sights! Sounds like you have been busy in the garden, we have come back and just spent yesterday cutting plants back and sorting out a border, so that we can replace a fence panel and plant all the lovely new plants we brought home.
      I should have remembered we were in your neck of the wood and It would have been lovely to meet for a cuppa, we could have bought the cake!!

      Scarborough is a beautiful place which we visited last time we were in the area, so this time we when to Bridlington for the first time.

      Next time we are up your way, I'll let you know and we can have a Sasha get together!! :)
      We may be back in the spring to see whats happening at Breezy Knees!

      Erik's adventures are soon to come! xxx

      Delete
    2. Oooh, Chris! Scarborough!
      I just missed out on buying a little house on the main drag down to the sea at Scarborough(forget the name of the road) but was pipped to the post with my offer - just as well as I had little chance of a teaching post there. My children spent a wonderful fortnight helping the donkey lady there one year- the man o'war jelly fish were in, so no chance of playing in the water - and those donks were the beginning of us deciding to have our own little herd.
      Dear old Scarborough.
      Dee, your next trip should be to Whitby - another great little town.
      Jenni

      Delete
    3. What would life have held if you'd bought that house!! fate is very cunning and sometimes knows whats best!! I love Scarborough when we visited a few years back and well Whitby ! Just love the place, which we did revisit this year.. :)

      Delete
  4. What a lovely blog post Dee, you did give us a great insight into Bridlington and York...and loved the name of the garden centre place, Breezy Knees, perfect!
    Me and Brendan were looking at the cakes your daughter and Paul ate, oh and of course Sansa.....such a shame you didn't try any of those though...you were indeed VERY GOOD! LOL...and if I believe that, then I'd believe anything!!!!
    And as for your healthy choice at the first restaurant in Brid.......dread to think what the 'unhealthy' choice was like LOL! But hey, you were on holiday, and what are holidays for but to enjoy yourself and eat nice things!
    Poor Erik though, what a shame for him to miss out on a trip to York. :( Maybe if he feels 'deprived' he could come to Spain for a holiday instead? LOL
    Big hugs Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, glad you enjoyed it. Those cakes did look very tempting I have to confess that I may have helped Sansa finish hers off! ;)
      What can I say that looked very healthy at the time!!
      I would not feel too sorry for Erik, he made sure he got a lovely gift!! I'm sure he'd love to look at Spain's Viking history!!! Well anything remotely medieval will do!!
      hugs Dee xx

      Delete
  5. Very lovely post Dee! Your scenic photos are true eye candy for me since I would love to visit your wonderful country one day! I loved the food and menu photos too! And, then we even get to see Sansa and Erik too. Thank you for this wonderful post. I still love that elephant dress :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger,It would be lovely if you ever visit England you would find so much to see and being a much small Country than your own, you whip round it pretty quick! :)
      If you ever visit, you must come to Tea ! I too love the Elephant dress :)xxx

      Delete