Sunday 23 August 2015

SUNDAY CATCH UP

Well another week's gone by with not an awful lot happening. The usual working five and a half days, well I did get Thursday afternoon off which was nice but did not actually get much done that day.

However things are still going forward a little at a time.

I sold one of the babies and have another one up for adoption, trying to just move on the one's that have not been here overly long and get no attention even though I do love them I must be hard , it was supposed to be one in and one out but that never seems to happen , it's either half a dozen in and one out or half a dozen out with a slow re build!

Yesterday was spent house cleaning once I was home from work, although Paul had done a fair bit while I was out. We had friends round for dinner and had a great time, especially as our friend Tom is a builder so I was talking to him about knocking down walls and moving things! He once said to me , he did not know why I did not just build a house since I was always knocking them about once I move in! But although the idea of building your own house does have an appeal , in truth I just adore old property and you just would not get that from a new build even if you tried using old materials, it just would not be the same.

Since we have been in this house we have totally redesigned the layout. Knocking out chimneys in the two smaller bedrooms and a brick cupboard. Then taking down the old brick faced fireplace surround in the living room behind which thankfully was the original wall of the fireplace. Taking out the kitchen window and replacing it with french doors and moving the kitchen back into the original area and putting that table nearer to the sun drenched windows, while knocking out another brick cupboard and bricking up the side door to form a window that the sink now sits under.Getting rid of the sliding patio doors for another set of french doors with window to match the kitchen.

There are always plans in my head for work that we still need to do and if I had not gone off into Sasha would probably have been done by now! Although as soon as the sun shines and the winters over Paul's attention turns to the garden which is another reason the house is always waiting!

Anyway after all the talk of walls coming down etc, this morning we set about clearing out the brick built shed.Due to the previous owners building on the extension this shed is now only five foot from the back of the house and although it's been a useful place for keeping things, like the freezer, it does stop you from having a nice clear outlook on the garden from the french doors and window in the living room/dinning room.

So it's got to come down!!

To that end we decided to start clearing it out.


This was the view this morning, believe it or not that worktop at the back under the window was full with boxes and whatever up until one night this week when I threw my dummy out my pram when I had to move so much stuff out the way just to get to the freezer! So we cleared lots from that worktop which meant you could finally get some light in that window!


Shelves packed with garden things and other rubbish thats not been used in months if not years!


so this is a photo of most of it now out on the patio and patio table ready to be sorted through and either found a new home or got rid of.


We took out the worktop and also the two pieces of wood that were forming a big shelf in the roof area. At this point Paul said that it looked about the same size as my new Sasha studio and would I not prefer to be here? as I would be right by the house with a nice window so plenty of natural light!
I did consider it for all of about five seconds but I think my new studio in the workshop is bigger and I want this shed gone from the place right by the house! If I could have rolled it further down the garden into the corner I would naturally keep it, it's sturdy and waterproof and I would have offered it to Lindsey for a studio BUT it's in the way, so it's going!


Well we started sorting through things and had not been going that long when The heaven's decided to open and it began to rain! At first only spots but as we quicken our pace it began to get serious so it was a rapid rush to get things moved undercover.


The freezer was moved closer to the window now the worktops gone and the shelves moved along, the only thing was due to the rain I had to put this Joe Columbo 1960's Boby unit back inside just enough to be able to shut the door as it's quite valuable and although the rain would not harm it I did not feel able to just leave it to get soaked!.You can see the rain on the top of it.



Here you can see the rain soaking the patio, I needed to go and change by the time we had finished but at least it's another job done.
We'll need to make a trip to the local tip in the week due to the 25 plus various sized tins of paint! Why do we all keep half used pots of paint? it's very rare that we get to use them again ! Mind you I did paint my studio for left over tins.

I acquired a couple of lovely blouses by Frances Trickett this week and have plans for just what I want to put them with to achieve a certain look.


I love the fabrics that Frances uses and used to own quite a few pieces of her Sasha doll clothing but it was all in lovely Satins and silks and I never used it for fear of damaging or marking  it  but now I have got over that worry and do wish I had kept back a couple of those dresses but there you go we live and learn.



Well this weeks plan is to get further with the move into the Studio, sort out and sell on clothes I not longer need or use for the Sasha's and make up a few idea's for hats that's floating round in my head !

If I can get half or a third of that done I will be very happy!

*********************************************************************************

10 comments:

  1. I just HATE tidying things out so in this case 'rather you than me' as I find that the 'waste not want not' instilled in me throughout my life still won't let me get rid of most things 'just in case' they are ever needed.

    I have always rather loved your brick built 'outhouse' (as I think they used to be called/termed and personally I would have used it, after adding larger windows and some form of heating for a Sasha studio having the advantage of being close to the internal Sasha doll storage etc... but I know that you have never liked it being so close to your lounge and therefore restricting the garden views from inside.

    We had a thunderstorm up here last night too with plenty of lightning flashes which were very close by. I was rather pleased though as it watered my very dry lawn and garden and filled up the water butt for the daily watering of my Runner Beans (which incidently are now daily providing me and my family with some very tender and delicious greens.)

    Looking forward to seeing what you are going to put to go with your two new FT blouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite enjoy tidying but there is just so much of it at the moment comes of living here ten years and just keeping things 'just in case' well ten years later I think that I can now forget just in case and move these things on or just get rid of them.
      It would be the ideal place for the studio accept that it's in the wrong place! of course it would be , lets not have an easy ride! :)

      Well if we got any thunder here I slept through it! But this morning was lovely and I thought that we'd be lucky and not get any rain but I was wrong.That's good it watered your garden for you and nice that you are getting fresh runner beans for yourself and the family.

      I am about to inquire of a seamstress if it's possible to make what I require!! :)

      Delete
  2. love that bobby unit ...where did you get it ! ive only even seen them in white and they cost loads so a red one im sure would be worth lots more ....im thinking your whole house is full of treasure...that i would like :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul's brother gave it to us when the girls were little , it's from the 60's so a early original one.

      There's a lot less treasure here now we have started clearing out plus we had a big sort out when we downsized and moved here but there may be a few things about that you'd like :)xx

      Delete
  3. You have been very busy Dee (and Paul) and starting to see light at the end of the tunnel. I can understand why you'd want to knock down the old shed and bring in the light....our Spanish neighbours think we're mad that we like to bring the sunshine in and all our windows and doors are open all day and evening whilst their houses are all in darkness all day!!! I know that as a result theirs are cooler and ours hotter, but honestly, you just can't waste that lovely sunshine and light, can you!!!
    Big hugs Sharon xxx
    PS Love that red unit, although I have to say I have no idea what a bobby unit is used for. Will have to go google...good old google!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been busy Sharon but there is still a long way to go ,that tunnels quite long and it's only a small glimmer of light but it is getting brighter !
      Glad you can see why that shed's got to go! It will open up that area and bring more of the garden into the house, and no in the uk we cannot afford to waste any sunshine and light!! :)
      That units from the 60's it an original which are very sort after! really versatile, Lindsey used to have all her paints and pencils in it when she was a yonugster!
      Hugs Dee xxx

      Delete
  4. Wow, a trememdous lot of work Dee and I do understand wanting that view of the garden. Especially your lovely garden! It must in the "jet stream air" but Rick and I are doing the same cleaning out of rooms in the house and outdoor sheds too. One of the old barns caved in last week and Rick is busy now disassembling it starting with the metal roofing. Of course we both have full time jobs and so this work is after the other work, just as yours is! I wish you every success and even though the tunnel is long, you do see the light! Also, I love your FT blouses and can't wait to see them on the lucky Village girls that are chosen to wear them! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger, the view for me is important, Carol said her husband knocked down and rebuilt a brick building that was in the wrong place.. I may try suggesting that to Paul......later.. ;)
      It is hard going when you are both working full time and you don't want to spend all your free time doing it but it needs to be done so.. :) It must indeed be in the 'jet stream air! ' :)
      I have a couple of girls in mind for the first wear of the new blouses by FT and the clothing I am waiting on to go with them :)xxx

      Delete
  5. Keep sorting :) going good. X

    ReplyDelete