Saturday 6 April 2013

THE DAY OF THE DRAGON......

I went to visit my eldest daughter on Easter Monday and Toby and Zak came along for the ride
I should have known Toby would get up to mischief and pull poor Zak along with him.

While I am in the kitchen chatting the boys wander into the lounge.......


"WOW" exclaims Toby " A dragon !"
" Cool " replies Zak happy that the dragon is behind the glass.


"I wonder what he feels like to touch?" says Toby getting closer to the glass " How do you open this thing?"


"WHAT! NO TOBY! " cries Zak " you must NOT open the glass!"


Within seconds Toby's worked out how to open the glass doors and is touching the dragon
"Hello Mr Dragon" says Toby quietly


" Toby Toby ! Shut the door " calls Zak in a whisper from a safe distance..


The Dragon decides to climb his log so he can look at this strange person eye to eye, so of course what does Toby do..he goes into the Dragon's Den! Zak hurries closer in case he needs to drag Toby's dying body from the Dragon's lair!!


Toby and the Dragon have a staring contest ..it's a draw!


Then Lauren arrives and telling Toby off for getting in the Dragon's den, she takes the dragon out and puts in on her leg.


Toby is soon forgiven and he is up close asking all sorts of questions about the Dragon.
"What does he eat?"
" Does he sleep?"
" Do his eyes close when he sleeps?"
"How big will he grow?"
The questions continue for quite a while and Lauren answers them all patiently.


Toby holds out his arm " Will he climb on me?"


Zak feeling brave moves up beside Toby watching the Dragon turn his head and refuse to climb on Toby's arm.


But he does give Toby a kiss on the cheek !


Thats just a bit too close for Zak and he feels the need to have a lie down!!


The Dragon smiles.....


The boy's turn to leave once Lauren's put the Dragon back in his den.
" Hey Mum !" calls Toby seeing her in the doorway " You just missed the Dragon out of his den and Lauren let me touch him! Wait till I tell the others they will be so jealous " he laughs happily.
" You Ok Mum? " ask Zak " You look a little wobbly "....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I would like to thank my daughter Lindsey who took the photo's where the Dragon was out of his den I was of course directing things from my place of safety , the other side of the door which was open a tiny crack in order to be slammed shut should the Dragon, Zilla, try to approach me!! and I Thank my daughter Lauren who allowed Toby and Zak to meet her Dragon.Now I am off to have a cup of tea, even posting these photo's makes me wobbly....:)


18 comments:

  1. What an amazing Dragon. Is it friendly?
    It has a super vivarium too. But what does it eat?
    I love the fact that your boys had their dragon doodles tops on for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Rosie. It eats crickets and live meal worms and other things that are veggie, It is friendly however I was hiding behind the door so....
      A happy coincidence that the boy's were wearing their DD outfits.
      My daughter informed me yesterday that she is hoping to buy him a mate this weekend.....and to think I spent all those years refusing their requests for rats, mice, snakes and other reptiles.... :)

      Delete
  2. Dee, this is what I call a really wonderful blog story! The boys look really great in their DD outfits. Great pictures and such a good, interesting storyline! What sort of reptile is this? Where does it come from? How exciting to be introducing a mate for this enchanting creature! I love the fact that you had to direct the 'takes' from a safe distance! Not allowing them their interest in small furry and slimy creatures obviously worked out well then!!! I thought if I encouraged Yasmin, she would get the acting bug out of her system, with very much the same result! Earning her living as an actor now! So whatever we do as parents, they will do what they want to do in the end!!! No wonder we find solace in our Sashas! xxx love Karin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will find out exactly what he is and let you know! I try to steer clear of all creatures of this nature being a true 'girl' at heart! lol
      Yes it does not matter what we tell/show them the little darlings will just do as they please as soon as they are old enough that we have lost our power!!
      I wonder now long the Sasha's will obey us? that Toby takes no notice and he's only 5 7/8ths!!!

      Delete
  3. OH WOW!!!!!! This is fantastic, what a brilliant story. I love the dragon, such a pretty creature and the photo 10th from the top, made me think it was saying "Is this my best side?".....I love how the boys got so close to Zilla, I really enjoy photos of dolls with live animals, makes for great stories!
    Thanks for sharing Dee!
    Hugs Sharon in Spain xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I am glad the boys got up close and personal and I did not have to!!

      It is great where we can put these wonderful sasha's and Gregor's and not need to worry!!

      thanks for the comment
      Hugs Dee

      Delete
  4. Wow! Your Lindsey and Lauren are real sports! Both boys were very brave. I felt a bit wobbly just looking at the pics. Are the boys wearing Dolly Doodles outfits? They look so smart! Lauri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I to felt wobbly just looking at them!
      and the boys are in their DD oufits.

      Delete
  5. This is fabulous! Wow a dragon! How exciting for the boys...I'm definitely not letting Rory see this, frogs are one thing, but dragons? No thank you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exciting for them but nightmare for me :) and frogs are in with the dragons in my book although the boys of course love all these creatures :)

      Delete
    2. Hmm, I am wondering if frogs are slightly worse as they can be slimy...? It is what they eat that puts me off! After hearing a story from a friend about how all the live crickets escaped one day and she had to 'vacuum' them up, that was enough to put me off for an eternity ;-)

      Delete
  6. After a hectic, but most enjoyable day of family visits I have finally managed to get to the laptop to try to catch up on things....AND have just spotted this INCREDIABLE blog post.

    Never before I have I seen or experienced anything like this. A Gregor Doll enjoying time in, and out, of a vivarium with a real life, live reptile.... who I'm presuming belongs to the Bearded Dragon family.

    If I remember correctly from my A-Level Zoology (long time ago now!) they are omnivores, eating both amimal and plant materials, so greens, vegetables, fruit and as you mention, live crickets and meal worms are all on the menu and they only drink water.

    I think that, like Dee, I would always like to be a good arms distance away although I know that if handled a lot when babies they become quite playful and enjoy running around the room for exercise as well as sitting and settling down on the settee or chair next to you.

    Their main enermy is temperature changes so that has to be very carefully monitored.
    I had noticed that there was no water feature in the vivarium so presumably they are sprayed with water or given an occasional bath to remove the dead shedding scales? Perhaps that Toby might be interested in doing this on his next visit?

    Many thanks to Dee, and her two daughters, plus Toby and Zak (who incidently look very smart in the DD's leisure wear) for this amazing post.



    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kendal I am glad you enjoyed the boys trip in and out of the vivarium with the dragon. I really should have checked with my Daughter about the details of her Dragon I'm sure she's told me but being me I have only been remembering as People have commented...
    But I do remember her saying about putting him in the bath with warm water so he can shred his skin.

    He is very tame and when I am not visiting he is allowed to run around the living room and he sits on my daughter's shoulder, much to the disgust of Archie her Westie ! who also I am informed will get between the glass and my daughter if he thinks she been giving Zilla too much attention!!

    I may have to send the DH along with Toby and Zak if they want to see any shredding of skin, I don't know how quick Zilla will move in water and I truly do not want to find out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dee I have to congratulate you on this really fab post! Just when I think they can't get any better you put another one out of the bag!
    Fantastic!! And so brave!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I will try again :) Thank you I was very brave from my place behind the door..Lol

      The only plus I can see of my daughter owning this bearded Dragon is for this post.. :) and she is hoping to get another.... so maybe another post at a later date....but two... in a room..loose...very dicey..lol

      Delete
    3. I rather stick with my canine crew and three cats....even when I am hoovering their hair up twice a day :)

      Delete
    4. Me too! :) Cats and Dogs any day

      Delete