Thursday 27 August 2015

SMOCKING?

When I was sorting out more of my Sasha things, I came across the Sasha Festival 2012 booklet which was perfect timing!

I had seen a kit for sale on ebay for a  dress for a Kidz n Cats doll , the kit allows for you to do the smocking and then make up the dress, it was in a lovely fabric so without thinking any more I pressed the buy button and it was on it's way.





Well in the Sasha festival booklet is the details for some smocking patterns plus dress pattern.



And since the last time I smocked something I was about ten and it was a red gingham cushion cover so I am what is called rusty!! :) Finding these instructions was perfect!

The Kidz n Cats dress was barely through the door before I saw one for a Little Darling doll! and since my girl CJ ( Courtney Junior) is still waiting for something to wear , the button was pressed and another little dress kit arrived in the Village.

Is it cheating? Maybe but then again it is also a good way to see first hand how the dresses are supposed to go together and to try some smocking without also having to start from scratch plus if I really enjoy it , I will be able to make some myself ,if I wish, from scratch.



So here is the second kit.

 Now I would like to say and here is the finished dresses! But like everything else in my life at the moment they are both still on the to do pile! However I should have some free time coming along soon, so will hopefully be showing you the finished dresses in the not to distance future!



*********************************************************************************

12 comments:

  1. not cheating - at least the most tedious bit (if you haven't got a smocking pleater which I don't) is done for you so the fun bit of smocking is ready for you to start. I would love a smocking pleater but they are expensive and I wouldn't do enough smocking to justify buying one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you agree! :) The fact that the smocking pleats are all ready to use, is such a bonus, I am looking forward to having a go.

      Delete
  2. No, it's not cheating at all Dee.
    Most people who smock regularly in the US use a pleater these days which my Granny would have thought cheating, but I would have been soooooooo grateful for when I was smocking baby dresses for Harrods in the 70s. Boy was it tedious pulling up all the pleats by eye - not even iron on dots allowed! Badly paid for the hours put in too. No wonder my eye sight is almost gone now. But I loved the actual smocking work.
    It is the tiny size that I find hard now that I'd love to smock for my dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful to have been doing such beautiful work and for children to wear! Mind you I agree it must have been hard work getting to the smocking stage and I am sure it was a pleasure to look back on a job well done!
      Thank goodness this is only for me!! :)

      Delete
  3. Most definitely not cheating, that is after all only the first part of the whole process. I've done a bit of smocking but the pleating is a bit hit and miss without a pleater to do it for you. As for the dots that Jenni mentions, I found them even harder to do than not having a pleater to be honest......!!! Dots before the eyes!
    I wouldn't mind getting one of those and having a go......yeah I've got SO much free time right now, haven't I!!! LOL I wished. But nice for a change to do something like that instead of sitting in front of the sewing machine all the time!
    I look forward to seeing the finished articles and might call you for the link on these :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon :) The seller on ebay is called biscotti725 and she's just put a couple more Kids n cats one's on, I managed to resist buying another..but only just!! lol
      got to do these two first!
      I agree I dont know where you'll find the time ! but It's good to stop and have a break and do something for you and your dolls! :)xx

      Delete
  4. Jen - have you seen this from Sarah? Maybe this is one of dresses you smocked for Harrods. http://vintage-sasha.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/for-jen.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see these wonderful finished articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kendal!! I just need to take the plunge!!! :)xx

      Delete
  6. Wonderful Dee! I look forward to your future posts and the finished smocked dresses! I so admire your fortitude to not only give the kit a try but also looking at additional smocking information for maybe a better outcome! Plus you haven't smocked in quite a while which is very brave in my book!! Way to go Dee! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger. Part of me is looking forward to having a go! The other part is thinking what if you ruin them!! Hopefully the first part will win out! lol I just wish I could remember what I did at Ten! at the moment I'm lucky to remember what i did last week! :)xxx

      Delete