Sunday 9 August 2015

A VISIT TO STRATFORD UPON AVON.

We spent our anniversary visiting Stratford upon Avon. Yes i know that;s where the 2012 UK festival was held but the festival is a busy full programme event and I only got to look round a tiny part of it then, plus Paul had last visited with his junior school!


The town is rich with fabulous old building from every century not just Shakespeare's, although there are plenty of 16th century and older buildings to see.


Being August it's the height of the tourist season, so very hard to get a nice empty shot of anything!


There are a few wonderful statues around the town.



x


x


managed to get one nearly empty shot!


Unfortunately Nash House and New place were closed for important restoration work, so we could not visit.

I thought their hoarding very good.


We could see the topiary from the side and just know inside would be a gorgeous garden but alas it was not to be !


 A view of the house above the hoarding.


A building further down the street had some painted covering to hide the work in progress. I think this is such a good idea, I first saw this in Venice and Rome over fifteen years ago and also in London, it's a great way to disguise what's going on and not spoil but make the view more interesting.


We had a peek in this church that was just on the other side of the road from Nash house.


 a closer look at the detail.


some architectural detail on some of the houses.


detail

 detail

 Detail


It's all in the detail..


a lovely hanging basket.


Me doing my impression of a Peruvian bag lady! Covered up to keep the sun off but colourful !
This photo is now on the fridge ! which is fortunate as the biscuits are in the cupboard!! lol

 more interesting buildings


more


Streets of them!


Interesting items in someone's front window!


Then we come to Hall House the home of William's daughter Mary who married a Doctor.

 inside


Interesting levels and passages.


Some beautiful floral detail on the back of a carved chair.


A view of the Back of the house.


From the side.


 A fabulous statue of Bottom, from a Midsummer nights dream , which was the theme for the Uk Sasha festival back in 2012.


A lovely big garden for the house.


I loved this view of the bay window in the house opposite the garden.


Paul resting on a bench we found in the shade of a large tree.


The garden had two beautiful big borders filled with colour leading back to the house.


More detail on buildings we passed.


 Detail!!!


We also visited Shakespeare's birthplace, this house you see.


From the back.


When we came out there were some actors quoting from Shakespeare, you could ask for a request and they would do a section. There was also an older man and we watched them perform some wonderful sections of some of his work. I was sure I had seen this actress before but I could not put a name to her.


The performances as good as you would see at the RSC. So I wondered if they were from there?


Another great statue.


We sat in the shade of a tree by the river watching all the people queue to have a 40 minute trip down the river or watched the people who had hired rowing boats, what a performance some of them were making!! or people in motor boats and barges.


The place was a hive of activity and people enjoying the beautiful summers day in a place steeped in History.

I have not given you too much information about the place as it's a place you should visit if you ever get the chance, you will have a wonderful time and come home full of idea's and imagination. For us it was the perfect place to spend our anniversary, I hope I have not made you nod off !! lol  There is nothing worse that wading through someone else's holiday snaps!!  A snippet is good ....an avalanche not!


********************************************************************************

16 comments:

  1. Looks to have been a great celebratory anniversary weekend.....(with not a Sasha Doll in sight!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Kendal a wonderful weekend. The Sasha's were banned from their last visit in 2012 something about a Midsummer nights dream, an ass's head on a skull and an impromptu appearance on the stage at the RSC during a performance of Hamlet ! With Toby shouting to flea or not to flea that is the question before rushing off being chased by his sisters.... why do you think I had to go dressed as a Peruvian bag lady in a hat! :)x

      Delete
  2. A lovely post, Mrs. Peruvian Bag lady (not). However, that hat does look like the feminine version of the one worn by a certain,notorious bear that hales from Darkest Peru, so maybe there is some Peruvian blood somewhere in your ancestry? You do look cool and ready for a long day of exploring special venues.

    Here's a secret about to be revealed - I have taught Shakespeare for decades. (Now there's a silly phrase, I did not ever teach Bill the Quill, I am old, but not quite so old. However, I'm sure you know what I mean.) Despite that, I have never been to Stratford. Well, not true again, I HAVE been to Stratford, but the one in London, not the one On Avon. I thought it might disappoint me by being a tourist trap, but it seems very civilized, judging by your photos, and not in the least like the London version.

    I love the carvings on the quality Tudor/Elizabethan houses and the fact that the Victorian vogue for painting all timbered houses white and black, which ruined the village of Weobley near here, did not get as far as desecrating the houses in S-o-A, or if it did, the townsfolk have had the sense to remove it and restore the buildings to their original splendour. The gardens are stunning too.

    I'm so glad you both had a chance to really look round and make your Ruby Anniversary weekend all the more special.
    J xx


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That lovely hat I bought in Stratford having forgotten to bring one with me ! And it was on sale so was a lovely bargain at just £9.50 ! How lovely to think I could be related to a certain Peruvian bear !
      You would love it Jenni, you should go but near the season's end ( if it ever does? ) being a fan of the bard, you could quote lines from his plays or sonnets as you wandered through his houses! I so wished I remembered lines from them when the woman was acting, it made you want to join in! They were so good we feel like we actually went along to a performance at the RSC without the price of a ticket!

      I have to say I cannot think of anywhere else that would have been better , a lovely memory to put away and bring out in future :)xxx

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a lovely weekend, that's brilliant! And such a nice place to celebrate. Not that I have actually ever been to Stratford Upon Avon...like Jenni I've been to the 'other' one!!!! LOL It's a little bit different ;)
    I love the description you've given yourself, you're very funny....you might even end up with a 'nickname' around where you live you know LOL!!! ;)
    When it comes to Shakespeare, all I seem to remember are a few lines from R & J....."but soft what light through yonder window breaks, it is the east and Juliet is the sun...arise dear sun, etc etc etc!" LOL yes, enough of that! Brian is a very big Will fan, he often quotes Shakespeare for me!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did thanks Sharon. I don't think I have been to the other one!! lol Have a missed much? :)
      I used to avoid having my photo taken but now I just wonder whose that woman! Cannot be me, I'm much younger and slimmer with a wonderful dress sense..lol it's amazing how we can kid ourselves! ;)
      It's amazing what snippets of Shakespeare most of us have lurking in our minds....They do not love that do not show their love..R&J xx

      Delete
  4. Happiest anniversary thoughts headed your way. What a lovely way to celebrate. I will be thinking of your holiday as my daughter quotes from "Hamlet" this fall (that is what she will be studying in literature).
    Maybe in ten years i can celebrate my 40th there...but a few months late as I would want to time the trip to coincide with the chat 'n snap LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie :) It was a lovely way to celebrate, for our 25th we went to Rome and Venice, now for our 40th Stratford, so at that rate I may well be celebrating my 50th with you and your 40th at the Chat n Snap!! :)

      Delete
  5. Glad you had such a lovely weekend Dee - we were there for a couple of hours a few weeks ago and laughed ourselves silly at a very handsome, stylish man making an ass of him self trying to row! If anyone else gets the chance to visit, the theatre has a glass tower that you can pay to go up - the views are stunning and the girl who took us was able to point out various buildings - a very interesting perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia. The people in the boats were a sight worth seeing! :) We saw the tower and will make the effort when we visit again to go up to see the view, I being high and looking at the view below. :)

      Delete
  6. A perfect way to celebrate - happy anniversary and may you have many more happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DollMum, it was a great place to celebrate, I highly recommend it :)

      Delete
  7. A fabulous way to celebrate your very special anniversary! I love your photos and it looks like you and Paul had a very lovely and interesting day. You look so happy too and tell Paul I like his red shoes very much! Thanks for sharing Dee! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger, it was a fab day :) I will tell Paul you like his red shoes :) xxx

      Delete
  8. Looks like a lovely day was had and not a Sasha in sight, well done Dee ;) x

    ReplyDelete