Sunday 24 March 2019

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY...

SUNDAY... yes it's the fourth Sunday in March ! there are five in total.



Some beautiful tulips to set us up for the day .many thanks to Gill and Tony our dinner guests yesterday amid the chaos that is our kitchen at present!


I think I mentioned that I'd been buying some 1930's china last week. It's been arriving however one of the sellers, sent a plate in a flat cardboard , almost envelope style , wrapping and inside wrapped in lots of tissue paper with one small very thin piece of bubble wrap! and in truth to call it bubble wrap was to be generous !
I removed the tissue wrapped plate from the cardboard and could feel and hear the cracked china even before I started cutting through the wrapping.



I started taking photos, so I could send them to the seller.


Such a shame that it should have lasted all these years just to be destroyed by poor wrapping.


Why do people think covering the whole thing in parcel tape will protect what's inside more? The seller refunded me but I cannot bring myself to throw the plate away yet ! I wish I was one of those people who'd keep it and use it sometime to makes some sort of mosaic ..


So we have continued to remove old kitchen wall cupboards,


We have to work round this piece of concrete and brickwork that's tied into the corner by some metal work. There used to be a chimney in the bedroom above and we think this was some sort of support.


We did try taking it out before but when we saw the metal rods running through it we decided it was best to leave it in place. Which is what we'll do this time too.
So the new top cupboards are going in slightly higher than the old one's to line up with the new cupboards on the other side of the range.
Which means the blue back board you can see above will also have to come out, which means we'll now have to decide to we just replace it with the same or do we go for tiles? or something else ? all these extra decisions that now need to be made !

One of the new wall cupboards is up and the smaller one that will cover the circuit board, so needs a hole cut into the back, will go up once the cement drys that was needed to level the wall at the top. Then it will be a case of trying to remove the trim round the lower cupboards so new wood can be purchases for all the new doors ! But of course we'll need to strip off the back wood, sand down the walls, paint all of that before we can get to painting the doors!
But of course I'm already thinking about fabric for a new blind and place mats etc which will take sometime.

On the doll front , no dolls items have arrived this week , I am still managing to be good but slipping down the book and decorating front instead.

Today's been a very lazy day as Paul went to visit his 97 year old Dad while I stayed home with the dogs. I read the Sunday paper from cover to cover, enjoyed looking at some home style magazines, cruised the internet looking for fabric for the kitchen blind and dozed in front of an episode of Mid Summer Murders ! Bliss !

I do have a blog post ready and waiting to go on for the coming week, so I did have a little doll play.

The weather today's been lovely and warm once the sun dispatched the cool morning chill and so the doors have been open allowing the dogs free reign and the heating turned off. The spring plants are starting to flower , so I'll need to take a trip down the garden when I'm off Tuesday and take some photos and see how everything is doing.

So have a lovely week ahead, I'm off to read by new book on the perfect English farmhouse to be inspired and to drool of the beautiful rooms and furnishings.

Dee


8 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your beautiful plate. They are very fragile as you know and the sender must not have understood the limited insulation of a single piece of thin bubble wrap. It is nice to see your kitchen remodel underway. How exciting! It is wonderful and so special that Paul can spend time with his Dad. 97 years young!

    I hope you enjoy your book and thank you for the week’s happy wishes. I hope your week is a great one! 😊 xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a shame about the plate. I just have to keep the remodel on track and not let Paul get side tracked or myself for that matter!

      I am enjoying my book , it's very inspiring :) xx

      Delete
  2. Oh that is such a shame about the plate, but maybe it could be mended somehow? I hear that some china restorers can make things look as good as new. I also saw something on Pinterest not that long ago, it was to do with a crack in a plate and putting it in milk, but maybe this lovely plate has gone too far for that :(
    In the meantime the kitchen looks like it's coming along and you have all the best ideas for it. I really liked the blue back board but maybe some attractive tiles would be a nice change from the wood.
    Have a lovely week ahead xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas I'm not one for things that have been glued back together! Lauren once as a six year old decided to kick a football in the living room and one of my Lladro figures landed up getting broken. Paul glued her head/hat back on but it was no longer loved, so was soon on it's way!
      Yes a decision will need making once things have moved along a little more with regard to the back walls under the units.

      Delete
  3. Oh how frustrating, I would have been so cross had it been me. However, I do like the idea of reusing the pieces Dee, perhaps you could make a nice little mosaic trivet for your new kitchen.
    Good to see the renos are coming along. We did ours back in 2012 (or there abouts) but now I would like to change a couple of things that have been bugging me lately, but dare not mention it to hubby just yet...he's still getting over the last lot! LOL! I'm sure you will do a great job and whether you choose to have tiles as a change or not, I bet you will be happy with it (for a while at least). Kitchens seem to need makeovers a lot more often than other spaces in the home.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just sad, I think if I'd owned it a while and it had broken I'd have been more upset or if it was a longed for item.
      We are never truly satisfied for long once re redo rooms in the house, we have that lovely feeling of pleasure for a few months and then we look at another room and think oh now that looks shabby and then we start again! It's why I like that we have paint able wooden doors on the kitchen which means they can just be repainted in a totally different colopur a few years down the road if we want a change! :) xx

      Delete
  4. This is exactly the kind of thing that I personally can't cope with, especially in the most used room in the house... but I'm sure that it will look refreshingly lovely when finished.
    So sorry about the cracked vintage china plate especially as china restorers are so very expensive. Perhaps you could mount the pieces in one of those deep picture frames and hang it on the wall?
    Thanks for your weeks good wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind it as long as we finish it completely this time and not do half the job :)
      The plate was not worth having repaired, it would cost way too much more than it cost. I'll hold onto it for a while just in case a use can be found! :)

      Delete