Sunday 31 January 2021

LAST SUNDAY OF JANUARY

 



 Well January has gone by in a flash! So tomorrow will start the last full month of winter , which seems strange ! I think with everything going on in the world time does not seem to drag at all. 

It's funny how things change with the seasons, back in summer early autumn , we made a point of all meeting up for breakfast at the kitchen table, getting out the bone china breakfast cups, shown above, and sitting down together to start the day. 

But since winter arrived that as slowly stopped as some preferred a lie in , while others are always up at roughly the same time of day whatever the that day may be. Now it's back to mugs of tea and toast while reading the papers on the sofa.

I'm sure once the lighter mornings and spring arrives , we'll get back into the Sunday table breakfasting again and the china cups and saucers will once again grace the table.

Meanwhile we are doing our usual decorating style ,of not having finished the end of the breakfast room/kitchen, we have headed upstairs to our bedroom and started sorting out a few of the things needing doing.

Our house is a semi detached building, so we can, on occasion, get some noise from our neighbour, who is a very nice man and on the whole very quiet, but therefore when he is noisy we notice it more. One of the reason we decided to start on the bedroom before finishing the kitchen etc , is that we removed the old worn original bedroom carpet a few years back and just put down a large rug as a temporary measure, while we knocked the rest of the house into shape.

If we get the room sorted and but a carpet back it will do away with almost all of any noise next door may make.

You may remember that I said I have the wallpaper , that has been sitting and waiting to go up almost since we moved in here, which is now almost sixteen years ago! 


Yes another pattern !


But it's not a Morris and Co one ! If I remember correctly, it's called Chantilly by Colefax and Fowler , another company I love.

By now, if you follow or read this blog, you will know my style is more country cottage/manor house than modern high tech minimalist . in fact if someone offered me a house that was state of the art, high   tech cutting edge or a cottage with a leaky roof and other issues , I'd take the cottage every time.

Not that I'm against technology , I like to be energy saving and warm ,like most but I'd prefer it wrapped in character than clean lines! If you have ever watched it's a Wonderful Life, that old broken down house they buy is right up my street! I can also admire the look of a beautiful modern house with a massive kitchen with a waterfall island and perfect looks but I don't know just how long I could live there without giving a bit of age !

Anyway back to the bedroom , Paul did say should we change the wallpaper for another but no , I still love it and want it to give me that old style cottage/ country house bedroom feel. Anything else would probably be much more colourful ( you know I cannot resist colour ) and not sit in the background allowing the bedding etc to shine.

I have been buying, over last year, some nice Morris and Co bedding to hopefully compliment the walls once it's all done. 

The room is basically the same size as the living room , with a front and back window. Because the house was built in 1926 and in a cottage style the windows go into the roof line. 


Which means the walls at the back and front slope into the ceiling, so the windows are high enough in the walls that you can fit a bed under them. I am five foot two and cannot look out the windows and down unless standing on a stool or chair ! One of our previous neighbours partner refused to move in until their house had longer windows put in !


You can see how much lower next door's now are. Although it was annoying not being able to just look out the windows upstairs, without being either on tiptoes or with a chair , I am now quite used to it and I'd rather have the ability to be able to place the bed under the window.

So the bedroom is now on the top of the list to get done , so work will start this coming week and probably take a month or so with what needs doing and how long it will take to get materials delivered.

On the doll front, I have finally managed to change a couple of the dolls into warmer clothing.


Jenny and Valentine are now much warmer although Valentine is still waiting on his socks and shoes.


and of course Adam was able to go out into the garden with Atticus , now he was toasty warm in a lovely jacket etc.

Well that just leaves me to say have a happy healthy week ahead.

Dee 







2 comments:

  1. You've got a wonderful house. I also prefer old houses and things, they have something like a soul. Something that speaks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you H. I have to agree that they do have more of a soul :)

      Delete