Sunday 11 April 2021

SAD SUNDAY SUMMARY

Well this was/is a sad week for the british people with the death of His Royal Highness, The Prince Philip. I , personally , have always loved and had great respect for him. He did a wonderful and hard job supporting our Queen in her position but also he did wonderful work in his own right. The Duke of Edinburgh's award scheme and being head of the World wild life fund as it was called and being one of the earliest people to talk about saving the planet from mans folly when it was seen as poppycock! and those are just a few of the many things he supported over a long life of service.



In fact the Prince Philip played a hand in me meeting my darling husband. Yes you could say that he had a hand in arranging our romance.

For I was working as a 16 year old for the bank and they were big on encouraging their young staff members to join the Dof E ( duke of Edinburgh's award ) and so it was that I took myself off one evening to  the YMCA near High Holborn to attend a meeting. A few weeks later who should I meet there but a 19 year old Paul , who had been encouraged by some friends to try the D of E. He offered to walk me to the underground station after the meeting and well the rest as they say is history! 

So we in the family mourn the death of one of the old school, a gentleman who gave his life to serve his adopted country , it's queen and his wife.


On a happier note, I have been sorting out the dolls clothes and selling on quite a few , which is nice that they have moved on and I now have more space and also that I have some money. I have used some of the sales money to order a few smaller slimmer plastic boxes to enable me to separate the clothing in to small groups.

I did consider selling anything that had not been on a doll in the last year but then realised I'd probably have next to nothing left ! Or should I have a magic number? only eight dresses, t shirts, trousers etc ? but then what number would be best?


But at least the sales have gone every well and quite a bit of what I have listed has gone and so some space has been made. However there are still boxes and boxes! But I will stop for a while, so I can carry on with other clearing in the studio.

One of the good thongs that came out of posting lots of parcels was I finally found a Sasha knitting pattern book that I knew I had brought inot the house to use before Christmas then promptly mislaid and dispite searching on more than one occasion finally appeared , in a place I had searched before and even asked Paul to search for me!! So at least I can now start using upsome of my wool in the evenings.

I am waiting on a non sasha doll to arrive. It is on it's way from the US and was posted on the 22 March priorty mail, well that was a waste of money since according to it's tracking it sat in Chicago for ages , then when they finally updated the tracking this week, it said it had gone via Japan on the 1 st April and as of yet is still out there in the postal system not having landed anywhere since the 1 st! So fed up with waiting for it's arrival , I paid off another non sasha doll I had on a layaway and so that will arrive by Tuesday since it is coming special delivery in UK.

I have a couple of A Girl For All Time dolls, that I pre ordered last year, that were supposted to come by February but they have only just been passed their inspection and have yet to be sent from the makers in HongKong to the UK company, so who knows when they will arrive. 

I have a few items I need to get finished today and a couple of things I want to make in this coming week along with getting back into the studio to carry on with the sorting and tidying. Plus now the weather is improving there are the usual jobs to start getting done in the garden and of course the house.

So on that note with all the things needing doing I will wish you all a happy healthy doll filled week ahead.

Dee






10 comments:

  1. Yes, quite a loss. The Duke made his job appear effortless, when I'm sure it was anything but. Ninety nine years - a life well lived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did and he did have a good long life

      Delete
  2. On this side of the pond we are saddened as well. My teenaged sons even brought the topic up at dinner.
    On a happier note, is that dress (it’s gorgeous) from the Sasha knitting book? And even if it isn’t what is the book you purchased?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a man of the world.
      Now that dress is on my sales page, knitted by a sasha lady, I don't know where the pattern come from but since I've never put it on a doll I decided it could go before I did and then had to keep it !

      Delete
    2. Oh the book I have owned for a few years, it's called Knitting Patterns for Sasha, Gregor and Bay by Patricia Evans and Jane Woodbridge. Jane was selling them on ebay a few years back.

      Delete
  3. Well, he had a fantastic and long life and to the end how can one feel sad? Death of a child or a parent leaving their young behind is devastating but the old who have been well loved all their life should be cherished yes but not mourned. I imagine now that the Queen will hand the reins over to Charles after the lockdown ends this summer.
    The spring cleaning is going well Sis! Well done and keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he did have alovely long life and a good life but even though he had a good innings , we can still be sad that it's come to an end.
      I hope and believe that the Queen will continue on and slowly allow Charles to do more until after a while she will sit back and enjoy a quiet life much like Prince Philip did for his last years.
      Thank you I am sort of enjoying it !

      Delete
    2. I love a spring clean...trouble is I go mad clear everything out and then find a few months down the line that the thing I threw out in the spring clean is the thing that I now need :)

      Delete
    3. I can have the same problem, throw it all out then need it a couple of weeks later !

      Delete
  4. The Queen will be very lonely now.
    Thank you I'm very happy how things are moving !

    ReplyDelete