Monday 5 May 2014

KENNELWORTH ....THE MAKING OF

Kennelworth? I can hear the query, is that some house belonging to the National Trust? Have they been out for the day?

Well there is a Kenilworth Castle in Warwickshire but we have not yet paid it a visit and we have not even left our property to see this Kennelworth ! In fact now I think about it we have been to Kenilworth Castle.

So let me fill you all in on what we've been up to, this is photo heavy so that you can see how Kennelworth was achieved.

Are you sitting comfortably? yes? good I will begin.......

In the week we were clearing up the garden and Patio now that spring's finally sprung! We had put the Acers in pots and arranged them in one part of our patio  and while doing this I spotted something that was never really used and had just been put in a corner and forgotten about.
That day I looked at it with my Sasha eyes!!! You know the ones, we all have them when we see something we think may or may not be just the right size for our Sasha's!
Sometimes we can be totally wrong and bring home something way too big or too small but sometime we come across a gem!
And this is what happened when I looked at this unused and unloved item, I thought that would fit a Sasha and I know exact what it can become!

So here is the first of many photo's.....the item to take my eye was......


Yes the old dog kennel ! We bought this a good few years back for our dogs, who took one look and said " That's a bit small for all of us, lets stay in the house!" and apart from going in on the odd occasion to sniff and check no one else had had the cheek to move in , they totally ignored it!
Now and then we would see one of the cats curled up in the doorway but very rarely did it have any use.So it had lived tucked away in a corner, slowly decaying.
Now yes it was somewhat bigger than I needed for my idea and this is where the lovely DH Paul comes in, he spent yesterday cutting it up and remaking it into a Sasha usable item .


Here is a photo showing the rot on the side that was open to the elements, the roofing felt split and the wood rotted.

But the bottom was in very good condition although covered in rubbish.

So Paul set about taking it apart.



It had originally come as a flat pack, so was fairly easy to take apart except one rail that had to be prised off.


Here we have left just the back wall and the floor. The floor was going to be cut down to half the size but then Paul had an idea which I agreed with, so only a small area of floor was reduced.


The kennel was two foot deep, so Paul cut one side wall in half to bring the size down to just one foot. Here he has placed the two cut halves against the back panel.


Here he is fixing the side back in place. It was around this time that Paul said I should call it Kennelworth !
I thought it was a great idea! So kennelworth it became.
Have you worked out what he is making me yet? Yes ? Well don't shout it out maybe some are still not sure!


A client supervisor can only interfere so much, so I took myself off down the garden to see where we could place Kennelworth once it's finished. This is my first choice, I know it does not look wide enough but on the left are ground elder weeds which need to be pulled up and the space should be wide enough, I'll take the tape measure up there later and double check.


Just so you can place it in the garden, it's just down here on the right at the end of this border and before the stone circle.

Now lets get back to Paul and Kennelworth.


Now he is refitting the front to the two new shortened side walls.


A view of inside, Paul coated the whole thing inside and out in clear five year preservative to help keep it from rotting any more.At this point I said it would be good to have a shelf/ worktop inside.


So an off cut of skirting board was found and cut down tight enough to wedge between the walls.
Now those who make things will know that something it changes and evolves in the making and so it was with this. Paul had said about putting the roof on and letting it come out to cover the front board forming a small veranda. I , the client, had agreed with this improvement but when we got to this stage , we did not have any roofing felt and the piece on the Kennel roof was too small and old to reuse. So when Paul went off to see if we had any, he returned not with felt but two large slate tiles!
So in order not to have to add more work, the veranda idea was scrapped in favour of a lovely slate roof.




Here you can see one slate in place , we left it long to help keep the rain off the sides.


Both slates now on and the original ridge back in place which is slightly on the tilt but nothing we can do about that.You can see the shelf on the back wall.Well we now needed to put some coloured stain on but not having anything suitable it meant a trip to the local Wickes and the first cost involved. Of course I had wanted a nice pale green but no small tins available in that colour so finally we settled on a Cornflower blue.

Now there was just one more thing! It needed a pair of doors. The kennel had not had any doors so Paul went off to find something to make the doors from....


He found some old fence rails, which he used to make the doors from while I gave Kennelworth it's first coat of cornflower blue stain.


Two doors! Ready to be stained and fixed!


I could not believe how perfect the rails looked as doors.


Again Paul went looking to see if we had any other stain colour to use as a contrast and he found the lavender stain we used on our covered garden benches.Here you can see the doors getting a first coat.


The doors now on and open to give a view of inside.


And closed with the black hinges we got when we bought the stain.Now it all just needs a second coat and the floor stained, a little touch here and there. Then it can be put in place and it will be finished.

We had reached this point by last night, so today we just needed to finish off..

Well it's now completely finished and in place! Did you work out what it is? I am sure you did, so lets see the result of all my..I mean Paul's hard work..



KENNELWORTH the potting shed for the twins.

Yes Paul said all shed's have a name so the twins is called Kennelworth and I am sure you have all worked out why!.


Violet and Sapphire who have borrowed some of their brothers denim dungarees while they wait for their floral ones!Are very excited about their new shed. Shall we look inside? Are you sure? not fed up with all these photos? No! OK

step aside for the moment girls.....


You can see the girls have already started to add their gardening tools etc.


Violet shows you how roomy it is inside.


This is a photo of the toy tool set I found on ebay last year and managed to win.


Here are some of them on some nails Paul  in for me.The rest are on the work bench or in the yellow pail.


You can see that both Sapphire and Violet can fit in comfortably, so they can potter side by side.


Then at the end of the day , when the twins are ready to return back to the house.


Everything can be put away and the doors closed until next time.


and it fits in very nicely in that spot in the garden.


So there you have it ! A Sasha sized potting shed made from an old unused dog kennel with a bit of imagination and a lovely helpful husband and no he's not thinking of filing for divorce so he can have a rest on a Sunday... well at least I don't think so ? He's still got my Chat n Snap things to make!!!!



********************************************************************************

28 comments:

  1. How cool is that!! Perfect colouring for the twins too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is ! Yes I was going to go for a lovely pale green but none available, so landed up with the twins colours! Which just as well I suppose!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm! I really don't think it fair of you and your Sashas to hold on to Paul for so long.
    B is a lovely, lovely man who even likes dolls, but he is not the best friend of hammers or saws. His idea of using woodwork tools involves a great deal of bashinng, nails being fitted askew and the odd word that must not be typed on the internet being shouted loudly. Such operations take place only when something is falling apart and there is (as usual) no money for replacement - nothing is made from scratch and certainly not for pleasure.
    My Sashas keep asking what they have to do in order to be adopted by Uncle Paul as a result of the shopping mall he created, so I'm not letting them see this post. A little potting shed of their own would definitely have them moving in on you.......Actually, my old bear, Trumble Gardener-Bear also just left the room, trowel in paw, with a very determined look on his face....he likes Marmite sandwiches, shoud he turn up at yours.
    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised B does not want to add carpentry to his many list of jobs to do , what with all that farming he does very day!
      Should your old Trumble Gardener Bear arrive , I'll let him wander around and give him lots of jobs to do, he'll soon be worn out and missing home! And not being a fan of Marmite he'll soon be asking for money for the bus!!!
      Dee xx

      Delete

  3. Just love the twins new potting shed!!! It's brilliant.

    Love Gill xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, I was lla my .. I mean Paul own work.. :) but my idea!! :))
      Love Dee xx

      Delete
  4. My Sasha wish list now includes at the VERY top..... I want a .....?????...... ?????? ..... NO, not a potting shed..... but a 'PAUL' of my very own! Then I can have not only a potting shed but ALL sorts of other things made as well.)
    I've never had an experienced DIY for a husband (just two experienced private pilots and excellent car drivers) and have unfortunately sworn not to try a third time.... BUT surely a girl can change her mind if a super-duper Sasha-orientated-DIY-man came along?

    Like your sister, my immediate reaction was....... 'AND it's painted in the TWIN's special colours! Perfect setting for it too!
    Oh! I do so hope that this will be coming to the Chat n' Snap so that I can photograph one of my dolls working in it.

    Adore the minature gardening tools , trugs and plant pots etc.....not to mention the little decking area outside for 'bringing on' the young plants when needed.

    PS. I noticed that the wicker base for the hot air balloon has now disappeared from it's hiding place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There you go Kendal, pilots are all very well when you are young and full of energy to gad about but when you need things done around the house and garden, that's when a DIYer comes to the fore!
      They are harder to find these days but good luck with the quest! :)
      I'm not too sure I can bring it to the CnS after making Paul carry it about the garden looking for the best space and then getting him to take it back to the first spot I had picked!!

      They'll be lots of other things hopefully for you to photograph to your heart's content at the
      CnS, well providing Paul does not go on strike!!
      What's this about a Hot Air Balloon wicker base? I certainly would not let any of my Sasha clan go up in one of them things way to dangerous!!!
      Dee x

      Delete
  5. You and the Sasha kids are going to have SHED LOADS of fun :)
    What is the betting that your dogs will want there kennel back now?
    Brilliant idea...I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whose this? Oh yes I remember you :)) I'm sure those dogs will think it's now the only place to be..luckily it's in a part of the garden they cannot access alone! mind you the lodger cat seems to think if the door's open it's an invite!!

      Oh what wonders you will see
      when you pop by to visit me
      upon my blog so much to do
      but we still love to see you

      :)) I do miss them rhymes

      Delete
    2. Me too! Thank you for the one you knocked out for me just now :)

      Delete
  6. It's just wonderful. The colours worked out beautifully. Your girls must be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Yes they are over the moon, however being children they have started talking about greenhouses... I'm not telling their dad!!

      Delete
  7. oops! Haven't commented for so long I have spelt' there' wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does Paul have a Sasha friendly big brother he doesn't want who needs a home lol?! xx Tell him it's brilliant and see you soon xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have a big brother but he not Sasha friendly ! Sorry! :)
      Thanks Sarah I will tell him :) xx

      Delete
  9. Oh WOW this is just amazing! I LOVE IT!!!!! At first I was thinking 'beach hut' but then you know me and my love of the sea! But this is a brilliant little potting shed, and absolutely perfect for the twins...and yes, I too thought of these being their colours. I think they're nicer than green.....there's a lot of green in an English garden, so these are pretty shades like the flowers, you'll have flowers all year round.
    Paul is indeed a very very handy chap to have around.....I wonder would he welcome a nice holiday in sunny Spain perhaps? ;)
    Big hugs and well done, Kennelworth is The Dogs Danglies, it really is!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank Sharon. mm beach hut ? Had not thought of that??? :) but we are not really close to the sea, so may have to leave that one on back burner!!
    I was going for green because I did not want to have to buy two tins of stain but fate made me have to get blue and the lavender turned out to be in shed, ours not the twins!!
    I'll mention about holiday in Spain but as he reads my posts and the comments he'll probably decline now he knows you want him to build you a beach hut etc,,, Lol
    Hugs Dee xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. The potting shed for the twins is superb - what a great job for a bank holiday weekend of sunshine. I like the tools as well - what a lucky find. The colours of the shed are just right - green is good but for this setting the blue and lavender is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DM , yes thank goodness for the sunshine helped get it done! Yes it seems fate intervened to make the perfect colour's come together!

      Delete
  12. How awesome Dee!!! Just love the potting shed for the twins and such a great color!!! Your dear hubby is just wonderful to create another wonderful Sasha structure! Love it :) hugs, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger :) He is a darling to turn my ideas into reality!! If I had had to do it myself it would probably look more like a shack than a shed!!
      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  13. Hi Dee what a fantastic idea and a wonderful blog. I really do think you should hire Paul out as you would be doing a great deed for the Sasha world. Clever you for spotting that great garden tool set. I can't wait to see what you get up to next. maybe the girls could show us how to maintain certain plants as you have such a range. They could do a weekly garden show xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa glad you enjoyed it. I think if I tried to hire him out he'd go on strike!!
      That tool set was a lucky find!
      Next up will probably be the things for the Chat n Snap, so secret until October :)
      xx

      Delete
  14. Das ist ja ein super super tolles Gartenhaus, Dee! Das hat Paul wundervoll gemacht. Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu dieser herrlichen Schreiner-Arbeit. Die Bemalung in den selben Farben wie die Kleidung der Zwillingsmädchen - perfekt!! Ja, man sollte sich immer wirklich gut überlegen, wen man heiratet. Du hast es richtig gemacht:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Barbara :) Es ist in der Tat ein super Gartenhaus für die Zwillinge und einfach perfekt in ihren Farben!
      Ja, es ist gut, genau die richtige Mann holen :)

      Translation
      Thank you Barbara :) It is indeed a super garden shed for the twins and just perfect in their colours!
      Yes it is good to pick just the right husband :)

      Delete