Sunday 26 July 2015

SUNDAY CATCH UP

Well between work and the rain this week I have been very slow at moving things into my Studio but I have been steadily working at it and other things. I finally made two mattresses for two of the dolls beds, so they can be used properly .


The very lovely Sarah Price gave me these little wooden letters last year at the Chat n Snap, so they finally have a place in the Studio above the dividing wall windows.


I have been loading up the cupboard with bits and bobs that have been sitting around in boxes or bags or just on a shelf in the Sasha room.This is the tip of an iceberg.....


I moved the bike, scooter and Mr Mossy's bus over onto the large long shelf until the new shorter shelf's put up.


Things are arriving and being found a place just temporary while I get it all in.The shopping bag I used to carry things down in due to it keep raining.



 I decided to open the kitchen set and these are the goodies stores on the front of the fridge freezer.


and this over the cooker and sink.Even a little hands free phone!


Finally out of the box and looking good! This were very well wrapped and took a while to remove but this meant everything was in perfect condition.

I was worried that it would be a little small against the Sasha's and was making plans to maybe put a little plinth underneath to raise it slightly.


But when I went and got Ashley ,it's the perfect size ! But still wondering whether to raise it slightly ?maybe an inch? or less?...so it was level with that AG table?...


However this dresser that I picked up cheap in a local shop a few years back looks quite tall, so I am wondering about asking Paul to reduce the height slightly by cutting the bottom level? Also I believe this was made from an article in a wood work magazine, so it's far from perfect but  someone's Dad or Mum made it with love, so I will work with it. I think that I will rub it down and paint it to match in with the new kitchen.
What do you all think?


Going back to this photo , I was thinking I'd have to paint the dresser red but if you look to the left you can see the AG baking table in a lovely blue which I think complements well with the red of the cooker, so I am thinking to paint the dresser in a close as I can get blue with some paper that maybe as red in it for the back wall of the dresser shelves. Opinions please  :)

Well due to all the rain , I realised I would need a doormat to wipe my feet on when the weather was not at it's best, so said to Paul about going out to get one and also the small length of shelf I needed to finish the job.
Now I am trying not to spend too much on this refit but well B&Q is a wondrous place ! So slipped well down a slope while in there!


First up I bought this grey and silver lamp to act as a standard lamp in the living room, I figured it would help add some light on the darker days when I was blogging. It comes in beige or grey I chose the grey because the walls of this room will be quite pale so the grey will stand out more and not vanish into the background.


Then I saw and fell in love with this hall runner which was the perfect size to fit in my Studio and a good colour contrast to my floor! So a totally unplanned purchase ! I have not laid it down and won't until everything's in and finished . But now whereas I was going to just use anything to do the job I am now colour coordinating!! So for the curtains I was just going to use some of the fabric I found , I'm thinking they now need to 'fit' as I cannot have something that jars against what else is there!! Nightmare!! It's just a Studio in the garden !!! but I know it's too late! It's got to look lovely!! So hoping I am not going to have to go and find some fabric...but the fabric monster in my head is saying ...well you could just see what's available in the reduced bins.........in Laura Ashley!!


The view from the studio doorway , wet stones but a nice place to think on a sunny or dry day or to gaze out at on a wet one!


The view about to be blocked by Paul bring round my new shelf, he's just cut down to the correct size.


The shelf in place , just needs Paul to get some small screws to fit the back to the brackets and then It can have the bikes etc back on there.

So slowly getting there....I wonder if Paul could cut the uneven top detail on that dresser straight?... Paul....




*********************************************************************************

20 comments:

  1. Settling into your studio is progressing well despite the rain.

    The dresser does look a little tall especially compared to the kitchen units, it is probably an apprentice piece. It seems a shame to trim its bottom plinth to bring it down to size as it is nicely proportioned already. Maybe positioning it a bit further away from the kitchen units (with something else in between?) might be a good compromise and it would be acceptable to have a step ladder to get to the higher shelves (think of those dressers in old country house kitchens - they were often very tall to take advantage of the high ceilings).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming along nicely:)

      I think I will have to put the cooker/sink and fridge in a small plinth to raise them up so that the dresser does not quite so tall. I know that the dresser is made from a wood work magazine as I came across the details in the magazine a year or so back, so it is not in overly old.
      I will have a move about to see which suits all the items best ! :)

      Delete
  2. Please shrink me, so I can move onto one of your shelves...your Sashas have better cooking equipment and transport than I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could I would! :) you could then do all the cleaning and cooking for the sasha's a fair exchange I think ! :)

      Delete
  3. Gosh your studio certainly seems to be filling up all too quickly....hope that you're not going to have to demand MORE space at this rate.

    What a fabulous assortment of equipment there is in there already..... and I know that there is still much more to come....eg. the horses, settees and arm chairs, beds, picnic table, shop front, carousel, the bear's car and caravan, chests, playpen, prams etc.

    PS. Loving the greenery view from the studio doorway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Kendal, I have started to eye up Paul's side of the workshop!! If it was not so full of things and need me to start all over again I'd be tempted to try and talk him round to letting me have that side!! :)

      Delete
  4. PPS. Think that it might be a good idea to raise the kitchen sink unit up on a plinth but leave the Welsh Dresser as it is.... but rather position it further away on a side wall from the New Generation red units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking along those lines but will need to have the dresser at an angle or you would lose the look of it, which is lovely when it's full of all the china etc !

      Delete
  5. Great progress Dee! The studio looks fantastic! I would not cut down the cupboard. My experience is antique cupboards are very tall and were made for higher ceiling homes that were the norm back when the antique cupboards were made. Maybe you can adjust the height of the newer kitchen items though they look very nice. A great updating post! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginger. I think the dressers safe from being cut down and the new cooker/sink will get a plinth to raise them slightly but I am still thinking I will paint it! :)xxx

      Delete
  6. I think it's all looking really great Dee! I think I would raise the kitchen set up about an inch as you say, then maybe paint that plinth shiny black. Reason being these are kids and they'd be a be smaller than the units in real life...not that it doesn't look fine as it is though. I'd also paint the dresser to match the table, then maybe 'age' it a bit at the edges, or maybe it's called 'distress' it, so that you can see a little bit of the pine coming through. Maybe some small new knobs on the doors? Maybe made from small beads?
    I agree on the curtain if you can get a nice bit from Laura Ashley.
    I think you're having a lot of fun and hope to see it all in person soon!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that will be the answer, I have some of the worktop plastic ( They give you a strip encase you need to edge the end) so will use that to cover the plinth which may make it look like it's floating!!! lol
      I definitely want to paint the dresser , so it matches in a little more and a little ageing would work well :)
      Glad you agree about the curtain and yes I am having great fun! :) I look forward to showing you round when you visit :) xx

      Delete
  7. I too don't think you should cut down the dresser - if you placed it on the other side of the table it wouldn't be in such contrast to the cooker. Are you going to paint it? It would look nice with paper behind the shelves - how difficult would it be to get the back off and on again?
    Have you realized that the carpet you bought not only goes with your floor but co ordinates with the Sashas' cooker and table? Lovely colours, it's going to look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right, I won't cut it down and it does need to be moved around until it 'fits' with the other pieces. I think I will paint it and give it a little ageing, that way it will blend in well with the other items.
      I had realised that even the Cooker and table matched the new carpet! lol I am looking forward to seeing it all finished and everything in place!! :)

      Delete
  8. Love Sunday catch ups Dee, long may they continue (though for you maybe not so long is better) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ps I personally don't think it matters that the dresser is taller, think of how tall dressers used to be and would think anything of that scale being different to the kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, I think once I have the backboard sorted and can try them in different positions it may fit in well with the other furniture in the kitchen/ breakfast room :)xx

      Delete
  10. i think paint the dresser the duck egg blue ...i wanted to paint my kitchen cupboards that colour but rich rather drastically said if i did , hed leave ....quick wheres the paint (lol) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed so much Paul came to see what I was laughing about! :)) I'll send the paint in the morning!! :))
      I was looking for one of those small match pots this morning but could not for the life of me decide which was the right colour|!! So came away without one, need to take Paul with me as between us we'll get the right one and if not it's his fault!! :)xx

      Delete